On Mar 13, 2006, at 3:52 PM, Edward E. Jaffe wrote:

Ed Gould wrote:

A key point that everyone seems to be missing is that SE's (and they like) have essentially disappeared in the late 80's and early 90's. There is no longer a way that IBM can reach out to inform the "community" of good information. IBM did it to themselves when they got rid of SE's.

That was before the internet became pervasive. Now IBM web sites impart that information (and more)...

Ed,

Valid point but nowhere did I say all SE's were goodness. I can remember a few bad ones (like I am sure we can all talk about). I also can remember some excellent ones. Frankly I can also tell you about really really bad ones. But at least you could talk to the account rep and have them moved. Now we are lucky to have a 1-800 number. I was at a rather large account and was there for a year before I even heard that we had a IBM person. The next time I think I saw her was at a DR test (at IBM). IBM did buy dinner for us then (thanks).

Oh yes I do remember talking with her about getting support for ICSF and was told it would cost $$.

But I digress. No it wasn't all goody goody in the old days. Frankly I don't think IBM would be where they were today without SE's . When they eliminated them (for all intent purposes) they started the the clock. TICK TICK TOC.

Ed