From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Chase, John
Sent: Friday, March 24, 2006 2:36 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Convert 3490E Tapes to CD or DVD

Standard answer:  "It depends."

1.  If transferred as a "plain" ASCII transfer, packed decimal fields
will get corrupted.

2.  If transferred as a "binary" transfer, packed decimal fields are
preserved (indeed, the whole file remains EBCDIC).

Given Eric's description of the nature of the data, I'd probably do a
binary transfer and worry about translating it to ASCII (with
packed-decimal preservation/translation) when retrieving it on the ASCII
machine.

    -jc-

email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO Search
the archives at http://bama.ua.edu/archives/ibm-main.html