In batch, you could:

1. Use DFSORT/ICETOOL to read the files, convert binary/packed fields to
human-readable (don't forget the sign!), and write it to a temporary  file
which is passed to part 2

2. Use FTP with  "PUT '//DD:ddname' somefilename"  to write the temporary
file to some FTP server.  EBCDIC => ASCII will happen "automagically".

Depending upon how much space the file server has, you could potentially
transfer all of the critical tape files first, and then burn CDs
afterward.

I'd use CA-1 or whatever tape management system you have,  with some
reporting tool to determine the  sizes of the files to be moved, and also
to weed out the ones which haven't been used in a long long time = we use
SAS with the output of CA-1's TMSDATA utility for this kind of thing, but
you can user other stuff.  You may find that you have a lot of very small
files, and in fact
may be able to fit a lot of them on one CD.

Another alternative would be to write the output of step 1 to USS
diretories, then do an FTP 'Get' from them to the PC with the CD burner,
but I assume management wouldn't want to allocate permanent space for the
project?

Tim Hare
Senior Systems Programmer
Florida Department of Transportation