Something else to think about...binary fields.

Coincidentally, on the Software AG NATURAL discussion board, there's been a
topic about migrating from BS2000/OSD to Unix and the various things to
watch out for.  One thing that came up was endian-ness.  Depending on the
software, it's possible that a fullword that is written on an IBM-compatible
mainframe as X'12345678' would be written on an Intel x86 box as X'78563412'
or, if written as 2 halfwords, X'34127856' ("middle-endian").  And you can
have problems between *n*x boxen, as Sun's hardware is big-endian.  (Not
sure what the PowerPC is, but I think it's big-endian, too.)

(Non-mainframe NATURAL has an ENDIAN parameter to tweak this behavior.)

Later,
Ray

--
M. Ray Mullins
Roseville, CA, USA

German is essentially a form of assembly language consisting entirely of far
calls heavily accented with throaty guttural sounds.

--ilvi