John,

The first step is to figure out if the JVM is running reasonably well.

You can do this by timing "HelloWorld".

Here's what I get on my system:

> export JAVA_HOME=/usr/lpp/java14/IBM/J1.4
> time $JAVA_HOME/bin/java -cp $JAVA_HOME -version HelloWorld

java version "1.4.1"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.1)
Classic VM (build 1.4.1, J2RE 1.4.1 IBM z/OS Persistent Reusable VM build cm1411sr2a-20040515 (JIT enabled: jitc))

real    0m 1.28s
user    0m 0.13s
sys     0m 0.04s

What do you get on your system?

If you find that HelloWorld is taking more than a couple of seconds to run, then you should resolve that first (open a problem with IBM). FWIW: There seem to be lots of non-Websphere customers that are now running java and having performance problems, since they haven't been through the Webphere installation procedures for configuring their environment to run java properly under z/OS.
HTH,
Kirk

Chase, John wrote:
Hi, All,

Is anybody here running a product "Whitehill<xml>Transport"?  We're
trying to get it to run "efficiently" on z/OS UNIX, but so far the best
performance we've been able to coax out of LE and Java for this
application is "abysmal" (e.g., 7 minutes for a job that "should take"
about 10 seconds).  Heretofore my only exposure to Java was as the hot
brown liquid that one drinks to awaken or stay awake.

I've already tried increasing the storage-related LE parms; that only
made things worse (the 7-minute "benchmark" job's elapsed time INCREASED
to 1:32:57 (that's more than 1½ hours)).