On Thu, 2 Nov 2006 07:07:49 -0600, George D Dranes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>We are running a couple of LPARS in MONOPLEX mode.   We have XCF, LOGR and WLM
>couple datasets defined.  I was curious about the maxsystem value.  The sample
>job provided by IBM for WLM allocation uses 32 for maxsystem since its the max
>value so I went ahead and used 32 for my XCF and LOGR datasets.  Since we are
>in monoplex mode, will this value cause any problems?  Should I redefine these
>datasets using a smaller maxsystem value and if so, what should I use?  IBM
>seemed to think leaving them as 32 is the way to go but I would like some other
>opinions.  Thanks for any help.

To redefine them you'll have to take a sysplex wide outage! <g,d, & r>

There are some considerations in regards to reply IDs when the
XCF couple data has MAXSYSTEM > 8 (see the Setting up a Sysplex manual).
But other than taking up more space, I don't think you need to worry
about it...especially in a monoplex.  Somewhere I think I recall reading
or hearing that there is also a slight performance impact if you
code 32 compared to 8, but that is also probably for a small sysplex,
not a monoplex.

Bottom line:  Don't worry, be happy.

Mark
--
Mark Zelden
Zurich North America / Farmers Insurance Group - GITO