On Thu, 2006-11-02 at 08:57 -0500, Daniel A. McLaughlin wrote:
> User leaning toward Linux (RedHat) in its own LPAR. We already have
> Z/VM, but the concern is about costs, speed, iplementation, etc.

I ran SLES in an LPAR for about a year -- used it primarily as a SUF
server, and it worked well.  But certain people on the linux-390 list
who deserve your respect insist that Linux under VM is the only way to
go.

If you already have z/VM in place, there is no reason to run Linux in a
separate LPAR (and every reason not to).

> Would anyone care to comment? Oh, I sent him the info on how to get into
> the LINUX group, which I may do depending on how far this thing goes.

Yes, subscribe to linux-390.  Also see http://www.linuxvm.org/ (which is
maintained by Mark Post).

--
David Andrews