Timothy, why worry about the cost of z/OS.e? If you have a z800 and are
using it to develop z/OS software, why not just join the IBM PWD program and
get a license for z/OS, plus all of the development tools you need for no
charge? While the PWD program is geared towards developers that have the
Flex-ES systems, I don't think there is anything in the terms and conditions
of that program that would preclude your membership (with all of it's
benefits) if you were using a slightly bigger (and "real") IBM mainframe as
your development system.

If I am mistaken in this, I am sure somebody from the IBM PWD program can
correct it.

On the other hand, a z800 weighs quit a bit, and will certainly cause your
electric bill to go up, not to mention your a/c usage (depending on where
you live, of course). And there is the issue of DASD....the z800 comes with
no DASD, so you'll need some sort of 3390, Shark, DS8000, etc. That will
increase the cost and power/space requirements too.

DJ