---------------------<snip>------------------------
We are running into issues with the volume of SMF records that we need to process. We create a GDG every day for that day's records. Occasionaly we run into contention issues during the day but mostly it hits us at the end of the day when we read the day's records from the GDG and split the output into various other tapes for specific functions (accounting, performance, etc). While that job is reading the many tapes created during the day, the GDG base is locked so our dump jobs are forced to wait which eventually causes lost SMF data. Has anyone else run into this problem? How are other shops handling high SMF volumes?
We ran the SMF dumps to DASD, then sorted the data immediately, using appropriate exits to handle RMF records. At the end of the day, we ran a MERGE to create the "daily" tape dataset and deleted the SMFDUMP GDG files. Splits for special purposes were run from the daily tapes as needed, in subsequent job streams. The MERGE job was created by a TSO-batch CLIST that listed all the datasets in the GDG created by the SMFDUMP processing through the day. If I can find the jobs and CLISTs, I'll send them to you privately. I MIGHT even submit them to the CBT tape!