Anyone,

I have inherited responsibility for a CLIST; this is not my forte. I'm trying
to do
something pertaining to the ampersand character, and despite my efforts, I
cannot figure this out. As God is my witness, this is not a homework
assignment (I'm a BAL programmer, not a sysprog).

I've carved out and simplified the relevant portion of the CLIST for perusal:

WRITENR ===>
READ L
DO &K=1 TO &LENGTH(&L)
  IF &SUBSTR(&K,&L)=A THEN SET &X=&X OPTA
  ELSE IF &SUBSTR(&K,&L)=B THEN SET &X=&X OPTB
  ELSE IF &SUBSTR(&K,&L)=C THEN SET &X=&X OPTC
END
WRITE &X

The CLIST above works, and the concept is simple. The user is prompted to
enter a string of characters chosen from the letters A, B, and C, each of
which is associated with the string OPTA, OPTB, and OPTC (respectively). The
CLIST sets X to the concatenation of these strings, delimited by blanks. So if
the user enters "BA", X is set to "OPTB OPTA" (quotes added for illustration
only). If the user enters "CCB", X is set to "OPTC OPTC OPTB". Not hard.

The problem: I want each of the tokens in the generated string to be
preceded by a double-ampersand. E.g., if the user enters "ACB", I want X to
be set to "&&OPTA &&OPTC &&OPTB".

I have read the manuals, I have tried everything I can think of... but the
ampersands have laid me low. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

David