David Eisenberg wrote:

[excerpts from original post:

WRITENR ===>
READ L
DO &K=1 TO &LENGTH(&L)
  IF &SUBSTR(&K,&L)=A THEN SET &X=&X OPTA
  ELSE IF &SUBSTR(&K,&L)=B THEN SET &X=&X OPTB
  ELSE IF &SUBSTR(&K,&L)=C THEN SET &X=&X OPTC
END
WRITE &X

.
.
.

The problem: I want each of the tokens in the generated string to be
preceded by a double-ampersand. E.g., if the user enters "ACB", I want X to
be set to "&&OPTA &&OPTC &&OPTB".

---------------------

Follow up to my original post: the ampersands seem to have nailed me even in my previous message. To clarify (I hope this shows up correctly): if the user enters

ABC

the CLIST should produce

&&OPTA &&OPTB &&OPTC

I.e., two ampersand characters concatenated to the relevant string (e.g., OPTA), followed by a blank, then the same thing repeated for the next input character, etc.

I'm sorry for any confusion!

David

OK, I'll have a go.

Option 1: use &STR:

IF &SUBSTR(&K,&L)=A THEN SET X=&STR(&&OPTA)

-- note: do not need the & on the left hand side
   of an assignment; makes it easier to read --

Option 2: use &SYSNSUB:

IF &SUBSTR(&K,&L)=A THEN SET X=&SYSNSUB(0,&&OPTA)

Try 'em; see if either (or both) don't give you what
I think your after.

<ad>

We're one of the few companies around still teaching
CLIST, so if you have to code or maintain CLISTs and
have only had OJT, consider scheduling our 3 day
class "TSO CLIST Programming in z/OS"; this is also
the only place I know where you can get any hands on
training in the TSO EDIT command. Details at:
http://www.trainersfriend.com/TSO_Clist_REXX_Dialog_Mgr/a650descrpt.htm

</ad>

Kind regards,

-Steve Comstock
The Trainer's Friend, Inc.

303-393-8716
http://www.trainersfriend.com

  z/OS Application development made easier
    * Our classes include
       + How things work
       + Programming examples with realistic applications
       + Starter / skeleton code
       + Complete working programs
       + Useful utilities and subroutines
       + Tips and techniques