Mark Zelden wrote:
<snip>
It hasn't been done since OS/390, but you were able to order and install
a higher level of DFSMS than the DFSMS level that was originally distributed with the OS/390 level at the time (all in a supported configuration). My memory is a little fuzzy on this one, but I think it was OS/390 DFSMS 1.5
that could be ordered and installed on OS/390 2.6 - but OS/390 2.6 came with
OS/390 DFSMS 1.4.

I don't think I've ever seen a statement that indicates IBM won't do something like that again with z/OS.

<snip>

You haven't seen one that says we will, either (grin). Back then, DFSMSdfp was a "nonexclusive element" with its own product number so that it could be ordered separately. Now, it's not.

--
John Eells
z/OS Technical Marketing