-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of R.S.
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 1:20 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Synchronize Time Between Mainframe and Servers?

<SNIP>
I don't know microwave owen design, but I can imagine a device working
at - let's say - 3,5GHz +/- 20%. It can be fully acceptable for the
device (like owen) to work at 4.2GHz as well as 2,8GHz. So, resolution
is sub-nanosecond, but the accuracy is very poor. From the other hand
quarts oscillators usually work at MHz frequency, but the frequency is
very accurate and stable over time (months, years).
<SNIP>

Yes, we used to call that rock bound (Crystals) [I haven't had an FCC
license at commercial or amateur level since about 1977 -- things
change.] I'm told, but have no experience with PLL (Phase Locked Loop),
that it is also as stable and into the GHz range.

But let us get back on topic. The Mainframe's (at least from IBM's
design), has a TOD that if it malfunctions, is detected and presented as
a machine check. PCs, as far as I've been able to deduce, do not. As a
result, the mainframe TOD has a design that prevents drift (or at least
it did in the TTL days). So much so that in working on ETR designs it
was questioned as to how dithering could be done without causing TOD
error code giving failures. Obviously that microcode had to be changed
to allow an external timer to make the changes w/o causing Clock
Comparator errors (among others).

Regards,
Steve Thompson

-- STD disclaimer: Poster's opinions are not necessarily those of
poster's employer. --