On Wed, 23 May 2007 12:11:53 -0500, Eric Chevalier wrote:

>I get the impression that an ETR (or something like an ETR) might
>still be required with STP. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm
>wrong! :-)

I too am confused by this. Although in my case, that's not a particularly
impressive feat. It's time to dig through the manuals some more.

But an observation:
IBM has discontinued the 9037 timer line. The latest version, 9037-002 is due
to be dropped from support real soon (I don't remember the date). I was told
that the newer z/OS releases would support STP/NTP and I guess I inferred
from that, an ETR functionality. If this is not the case, how do you steer the
clocks on your z server to coordinate with the rest of the world ???

Another observation:
The original timer manuals and RedBooks I read were confusing and partially
inaccurate, so expecting this to have changed is probably naive.