ZFS is not the issue.  HFS has the same restriction.  Hence many shops use a
specific dataset name for them, probably with variable substitution, like
the matching sysres volser in the name.  Of course this is assuming the
HFS/ZFS reside on different volumes than the target library set.  I've not
tried placing these datasets together on one volume yet.  Would be nice to
know if indirect volser cataloging would work.