On Jun 14, 2007, at 9:24 AM, Paul Gilmartin wrote:

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 22:13:26 -0500, Ed Gould wrote:

Of course there are many ways to do this my suggestion is a common
sense one I believe, but there are others. I personally find it hard
to believe that a typical sysprog would not know about IEBUPDTE so a
guiding hand in this area is a little condescending.

I was suggesting such context lines as guidance not so much for
the programmer as for the (ISPF) editor in creating valid sequence
numbers in the IEBUPDTE command file.  Likewise, the provider
should make the sequence numbers sparse in the vicinity of the
expected user modification to allow for insertions.

Gil,

That is easier said than done. I know of no utility that would accomplish this easily. Not to say it doesn't exist but I haven't heard of one. I for one would be happy to get rid of sequence number. I have vaguely heard of unix products that do this but have never spent the time tracking them down.

Ed