Howard Brazee wrote:
[...]
If I was making a decision about my shop's hardware, a Standard
benchmarking test is a start, as long as they are benchmarking real
data processing - but I'm really interested in benchmarking my
particular needs.

If I was making a decision, the H/W platform would be one of the last things to consider. Companies don't need bemchmarks, they need *applications*. It is possible to have good application on poor platform, and it doesn't mean performance or RAS problems. On the other hand it is possible to have poor application on good platform. Poor could mean functionality, or poor design, infinite CPU needs, etc. etc.

BTW: Most companies I know, when considering *new application* (written from
scratch), they try to *avoid* mainframe. Reason claimed: costs. At least in
some cases I agree with such approach.
Of course I'm talking about companies already having mainframes.
--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland

--
BRE Bank SA
ul. Senatorska 18

Sd Rejonowy dla m. st. Warszawy XII Wydzia Gospodarczy Krajowego Rejestru Sdowego, nr rejestru przedsibiorców KRS 0000025237
NIP: 526-021-50-88
Wedug stanu na dzie 01.01.2007 r. kapita zakadowy BRE Banku SA (w caoci
opacony) wynosi 118.064.140 z. W zwizku z realizacj warunkowego
podwyszenia kapitau zakadowego, na podstawie uchwa XVI WZ z dnia 21.05.2003
r., kapita zakadowy BRE Banku SA moe ulec podwyszeniu do kwoty 118.760.528
z. Akcje w podwyszonym kapitale zakadowym bd w caoci opacone.