Depending on the deal, you can get an IFL in the low $30's.
I agree too, the RS6000's that we are installing have LPAR's and cost as much as the z9 in some cases. If you load up a four or eight way Xeon server box, you are looking at $30-50K in many instances. I think that to some degree, many new managers equate mainframe and expensive, and servers and inexpensive, when it is simply not true in many cases.
Let us not begin to talk about security and viruses either......

Doug

snip>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

What kind and size of Server? How much business processing can it do by
itself? I know that the Enterprise class Intel/AMD servers here are very
expensive, compared to "desktop" class. Unfortunately, I don't know even
the approximate cost. I have have been told that the combined
hardware+software cost of the "Open Systems" servers (mainly Windows)
costs more than the hardware+software cost of the z9BC we have. I don't
know the personnel costs. Oh, and the z9BC is still doing at least 80%
of the core business. And people are constantly complaining about server
response time. CICS response time stays sub-second. Batch, on the other
hand, sometimes gets bogged down.

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer