On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 12:48:10 -0400, Veilleux, Jon L wrote:

>Tom, you're talking about folks who were familiar with writing programs
>when virtual storage was very limited. MVT has been gone for a long
>time.

Agreed.  There is little, if any, need for overlay structures these days.  I
was
taking exception to your statement that application programmers wouldn't be
able to design one.

>I know there are probably a few silver backs who could still
>structure and write an overlay program, but I would be willing to bet
>that the majority of today's application folks never even heard of
>overlay

Again I agree.  Likewise system folks.

>although it would be a good history lesson for an assembler
>class.

Assembler?  Not really.  Most of the overlay structures that we built were
primarily COBOL, with the occasional Assembler subroutine.  There's no need
for assembler in an overlay structure.

--
Tom Marchant