Mike Feeley wrote:
I'm thinking of changing PLPA to the minimum size of 1 cylinder and letting it overflow into the COMMON page dataset. Is there any issues with allocating a huge COMMON page dataset? For example, if my LPAR only requires a combined PLPA and COMMON size of 800 cylinders, can I used an entire 3390- 3 for the new PLPA (1 cylinder) and COMMON (the rest of the volume, around 3337 cylinders)? Any issues with the large number of page slots, memory usage, etc. This is for z/OS 1.8 on a z9 box. Nothing else will use this volume. It will either be 100% utilized with PAGE datasets or 100% utulized with PAGE datasets plus a placeholder (filler) dataset. I don't know why I can't just create a huge COMMON page dataset and be done with it versus creating a 700 cylinder COMMON this year and maybe then a 800 cylinder COMMON in 2 more years, etc. Just create the one huge COMMON page dataset and I will be set well into retirement. What are the downfalls from doing something like this?
<snip>

There is no point in making the COMMON data set any larger than 2GB. COMMON cannot possibly grow to 2GB, since that would be _all_ the space below the bar. I'd allocate a 1-cylinder PLPA followed by a 2GB COMMON and then forget about it for (probably) the rest of my life.

--
John Eells
z/OS Technical Marketing