-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Bob Shannon
Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 7:34 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: PLPA and COMMON PAGESPACE Size

<SNIP>
We do this so that we don't have to worry about sizing the PLPA page
dataset. We just define a large common page dataset and let PLPAQ
overflow into it. There is no performance degradation.

<SNIP>

In most shops where I did the system work, I made the LPA page data set
30% (min) larger than what it used at the time it was going to be rolled
into production. The Common was made the max size (today, basically a
volume on 3390-3).

We did not do CLPA except for when we KNEW we were putting on maint that
required the LPA to be refreshed.

IPLs ran rather quickly (although today the difference between CLPA and
non-CLPA is hardly noticeable). And we didn't have surprises of maint
getting on before we were ready.

Development shops may want the overflow to always force a CLPA.

Regards,
Steve Thompson

---