IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU> wrote on 10/01/2007
07:35:16 PM:

> Our shop uses SMS for allocation and StopX37, but we are looking at
replacing
> StopX37 with CA-Allocate.  Does anyone have any experience coverting from

> StopX37 to CA-Allocate or converting off of CA-Allocate.  I'd appreciate
any
> feedback I can get.  Pros/Cons, why you converted off of it or to it
etc....

We converted many years ago before SMS provided Storage Constraint
Relief. We use CA-Vantage along with CA-Disk so CA-Allocate was a better
fit. If you are not dependent on notcat 2 processing, you should try
SCR first mostly due to the fact you already have it.
If you need to support notcat 2, CA has done alot of work with Does It
Fit (DIF) processing which I have not had time to really test.  If you
are doing primary space (checking) reduction, you need to check the
number of volumes in your pools. CA-Allocate does an obtain on every
volume in the pool to check space availability for each allocation
while StopX37 is entered only if you can an abend. I had a few SMS
pools with several hundred volumes and primary space checking would
take quite a bit of time for each allocation (DD).
Regards,
John