Ed,

> On Oct 2, 2007, at 9:25 AM, John Kington wrote:
>
> > Ed,
> >
> >> On Oct 2, 200
> > If you try to create a dataset with DISP=(NEW,CATLG) and it is already
> > cataloged, you usually get a not cataloged 2 message in your job if
> > the dataset is not SMS-managed.
> > IEF287I   dataset.name                   NOT CATLGD  2
> >
> > If the dataset is SMS-managed, you get a jcl error and message
> > IEF344I R000493N STEP0 DD001 - ALLOCATION FAILED DUE TO DATA FACILITY
> > SYSTEM ERROR
> > IGD17101I DATA SET SYS.DMGT.R000493.TEST
> > NOT DEFINED BECAUSE DUPLICATE NAME EXISTS IN CATALOG
> >
> > StopX37 and CA-Allocate will detect either condition and can be setup
> > to delete or uncatalog the old dataset so that the new dataset can
> > be cataloged.
> > Regards,
> > John
>

> John,
>
> I know what a not catlg 2 is thank you. But I was asking why this
> would be an acceptable condition. In all cases I have seen it is an
> error condition and to automatically delete the dataset without
> proper research was grounds for firing or to uncatalg (or rename) the
> dataset was the same. Each not cat 2
> condition had to be handled as a major error and it had to be
> documented so the research could be done to correct it before the
> next day processing started. Now maybe it was acceptable in some
> companies to take in dated data but in the financial industry it is
> extremely unacceptable. Frankly I can't think of any situation that
> it would be handled any differently. There may be 1 or 2 situations
> where it may be acceptable out of the 10's of thousands where it wasn't.
>
> I am just surprised that any product would presume that a standard
> answer (condition) can be handled the same way.
>
> Ed

Ed,
I always considered it bad design. Chalk it up to user desire because they
found it expedient. Once in place, it became the new normal and jcl was
structured to rely upon the automatic error handling. There is no way to
stop without *breaking* their jobs. You do have the ability to choose
whether
to let the product handle the condition or let it fail. I allow it to
handle
all jobs for some groups, selected jobs for others and none for other
groups.
I apologize for not understanding your question.
Regards,
John