Ed,

> On Oct 2, 2007, at 6:33 AM, John Kington wrote:
>

> > We converted many years ago before SMS provided Storage Constraint
> > Relief. We use CA-Vantage along with CA-Disk so CA-Allocate was a
> > better
> > fit. If you are not dependent on notcat 2 processing, you should try
> > SCR first mostly due to the fact you already have it.
> > If you need to support notcat 2, CA has done alot of work with Does It
> > Fit (DIF) processing which I have not had time to really test.  If you
> > are doing primary space (checking) reduction, you need to check the
> > number of volumes in your pools. CA-Allocate does an obtain on every
> > volume in the pool to check space availability for each allocation
> > while StopX37 is entered only if you can an abend. I had a few SMS
> > pools with several hundred volumes and primary space checking would
> > take quite a bit of time for each allocation (DD).
> > Regards,
> > John
> >

> John,
>
> Could you clarify on what you mean by "Not Cat 2"?
> I have worked in a few shops and never heard of that being a handable
> condition (good or bad).
>
> Ed
If you try to create a dataset with DISP=(NEW,CATLG) and it is already
cataloged, you usually get a not cataloged 2 message in your job if
the dataset is not SMS-managed.
IEF287I   dataset.name                   NOT CATLGD  2

If the dataset is SMS-managed, you get a jcl error and message
IEF344I R000493N STEP0 DD001 - ALLOCATION FAILED DUE TO DATA FACILITY
SYSTEM ERROR
IGD17101I DATA SET SYS.DMGT.R000493.TEST
NOT DEFINED BECAUSE DUPLICATE NAME EXISTS IN CATALOG

StopX37 and CA-Allocate will detect either condition and can be setup
to delete or uncatalog the old dataset so that the new dataset can
be cataloged.
Regards,
John