What you want to do is perfectly safe, (so long as nothing goes wrong :) ),
but the problem is that something always goes wrong, and you probably don't
want to get in the middle of the finger pointing that always happens when
something goes wrong.

The code to support it in a separate space is not really difficult at all,
and it does give you the ability to give some really nice statistics on
demand and when you start and shutdown that space.  You can view it as a
benefit to the user.  The overhead truly is VERY small, even if you gave the
ability for interactive stats.

As a user, I would purchase the product that maintained it's own before I
would consider one that used a system space to do it.  I would wonder why
they couldn't do it in their own space.  IBM doesn't have to because
*MASTER* already belongs to them.:)

I would expect that future products of yours that needed another common
space, would tack it on to your already existing addresspace, just like IBM
does with *MASTER*.

Brian