I fail to understand why anyone would find this "stunning." You really didn't think IBM gave away every trade secret did you? When I was at Intel they weren't giving out the chip masks for the processors or their memory chips either. IBM also kept the existence of the diagnose instruction hidden in obscure places for many years before innocently admitting that it existed and was pretty powerful.

Doug

snip>>>>>>>>>>

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Phil Payne) writes:
> Has anyone from the Hercules team read IBM's rather stunning admission
> (on the above page - paragraph 176) that there is a "confidential
> version" of the PoP?  Their words, not mine.

there has been the (confidential) architecture redbook (distributed in
red 3ring binders) ... implemented in (cp67/)CMS script file ... with
conditional formating to produce either the "princples of operation"
subset ... or the full (confidential) architecture redbook.

Doug Fuerst
Consultant
BK Associates
Brooklyn, NY