On Dec 27, 2007, at 10:32 PM, John P. Baker wrote:

That may be, but that is not what he said. He referred specifically to the
"existence" of the Diagnose instruction.

The Diagnose instruction has been documented in every Principles of
Operation manual issued for the S/360 architecture and for all subsequent superseding architectures, and in every case, has specifically stated that the functions performed by the Diagnose instruction are not published, but may impact any and all aspects of system operation, and if invoked by a user application built without access to that unpublished documentation, may negatively impact the proper functioning of the machine, requiring a Power On Reset and/or the assistance of a Hardware Support Engineer to bring the
system back into proper working order.

John P. Baker

Yes I know what he *said* but we are not dealing in life and death issues on here and (except for a few on here) this is not a pc (politically correct) place. If I misunderstood what he meant to say he is free to correct me.

Ed