Granted, but the converse is also true: A posix-style semaphore or
queuing mechanism is way overkill for the simplest cases, which IMHO
most non-software-house application (not systems) programmers are most
likely to need or encounter.

Typical in my non-software-house application experience is a single
master task with N children, each child with different responsibilities,
and each child's only communication need is with the parent, not with
any sibling.  In this type of application, ECB/POST/WAIT is more than
adequate and no requests are ever lost using FastPOST or FastWAIT.

Software houses and systems programmers tend to deal with far more
complex designs where multiple requestors and/or multiple servers are
involved.  For those applications a semaphore or queuing mechanisms of
some sort are certainly the correct solution.  BTDTGTTSTPI.

IOW, suit the tool to the job you need to accomplish.  ECB/POST/WAIT is
a perfectly proportioned mechanism for even quite sophisticated
application programming.  It's only when you must step up to the next
level of multiple requestor/server designs that ECB/POST/WAIT becomes
insufficient to your application's needs.

Peter
and
may contain information that is privileged and confidential. If the reader of
the
attachments from your system.