On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 07:57:40 -0600, McKown, John wrote:

> [...]

Ah, yes, that reminded me of where I learned of it.  If you want (some)
documentation,
check the U.S. Patent Office.  Do a search on 'TPZI' and you will hit some of
the PR/SM
filings... and even learn of yet another undocumented (beyond the patents)
instruction in
patent 4843541:
  DCSI  -- Diagnose Compare and Swap Instruction

(Now if I could just keep the PR/SM stuff in memory and purge the obsolete
active wait
junk...)

I believe that some of it (at least) was also described in an article for the
IBM Systems
Journal and there was also a very difficult to obtain IBM manual on SIE.  I
ordered my
copy online maybe 12 years ago or so and I was told by IBM that they actually
swiped a
copy of someone's desk in POK to be able to fulfill my order.  (Sorry about
that,
whomever it was!  I still have the pub even though it is pretty long in the
tooth now.)

--
Tom Schmidt
  (Thanks, Phil!)