In a message dated 2/11/2008 3:00:22 A.M. Central Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>Unless I missed a part of the discussion, all statements  that
overwriting once is not good enough, were based on rumours,  assumptions,
theoretical possibilities and negative evidence (data is  suggested to be
readable until proven otherwise). If my video store says a  video is not
available and another store can deliver it, does this prove that  all
video stores that say a video is not available are lying? Is there  some
report, investigation, official statement to *prove* that  overwriting
once is not good enough?

I am reminded of the epsilon-delta process that I learned in first semester
college calculus.  "Good enough" for what?  You supply me with the  "for what"
and I'll provide you with the "good enough."  If the "for what"  is that you
want to sell a data erasure product to the United States Department  of
Defense, then you must fulfill their minimum requirements, for which there
might
theoretically be no provable basis in fact or experiment, but yet they
published a requirement that said disk tracks must be overwritten six times in
a  row
with specifically described, differing bit patterns.  If you think that  once
is good enough, that may be ok for your needs, but you will not sell your
erasure product to the DoD.

The scientific explanation for what is going on at the atomic level is that
when you record a "one" bit on a disk track you do not really write an entity
called a "bit" on the track.  You magnetize several billion atoms of iron
and align them in a certain direction.  When you read this bit back, the
electronic mechanisms are designed to detect many kinds of errors in  reading.
One
such error is that there is a "weak" signal (not strong  enough for the
electronics to call it a "one" or a "zero").  What should  the electronics do
in
such a situation?  One answer is to re-read the  bit.  Another is to move the
read-write mechanism/transducer laterally an  extremely small distance (called
head shaking) and retry the read.  The  farther you move the read/write head
away from the theoretical center of where  the disk track is supposed to be,
the
more likely you are to detect magnetized  alignment in some of the billions of
atoms involved in storing a bit in the  immediately adjacent track.  Whenever
you overwrite a bit, you remagnetize  and realign the billions of atoms.  But
you can never realign 100 percent  of them.  There will always be a few that
do not get realigned  properly.  The idea behind overwriting many times is
that if you have  sensitive enough equipment, you can theoretically filter out
the 99% of the  atoms that are correctly aligned and read only the 1% that are
"wrong".   This may give you a clue as to what was previously written in that
bit's  location.

If the value of the data is X dollars to your enterprise but 100 times X to
your competition (or national enemy), then you need to spend a lot more than X
 dollars to make sure that your competition cannot read that data.  The
enemy may be willing to spend 50 times X dollars in research to build the
world's
most sensitive detector of magnetized atoms of iron or an extremely  powerful
microscope.  Here is one Internet commentary on this  subject:
_http://www.nber.org/sys-admin/overwritten-data-guttman.html_
(http://www.nber.org/sys-admin/overwritten-data-guttman.html)    He refutes the
idea that
overwritten data can be recovered by any method other  than with a microscope.
would suggest that he did not have a Top  Secret Compartmentalized clearance
for this subject, and thus did not have  access to the latest and greatest
technology used by the National Security  Agency, Central Intelligence Agency,
and who knows what other black budget  groups of the US government.  Such
information is not to be found in the  public domain.  They obviously know the
answer, but they aren't  telling.  Since I don't have this kind of clearance
either, I don't know  for a fact what these agencies can do.  But I did find
the
DoD's  requirement in the public domain, and they want 6 successive overwrites
of
each  track. That is their definition of "good enough."

Here is more information:
_http://www.forensicswiki.org/wiki/Recovering_Overwritten_Data_
(http://www.forensicswiki.org/wiki/Recovering_Overwritten_Data)

Here are some comments lifted from a blog:
(1) "while it may be possible to remove data in layers and recover
older data that was in its space before, no commercial data recovery
company offers this service. (The german computer magazin c't
tried to  get data recoverd that was overwritten once some time
ago. All data-recovery  outfits they contacted said they could
not do this.) It might be impossible  to actually do this, e.g.
because the overwritten signal is too close  to the noise-level.
It used to be possible with older HDD technology, that  did not
use the magnetic coating to its limits. It is likely possible with
floppy disks."
(2) "As the data is overwritten once with any disk-fill software, like  a
drive
write test, it becomes pretty much noise added to the latest signal,  and as
noise, cannot be reliably separated from the signal to become another
decodable signal."
(3)"> I think all those scares about overwritten data recovery are just
> old wives tales to support "data erasure" software sales, repeated
> many times by such illiterate paranoid folks as Dvorak of PC mag.

Doesnt explain the DOD standards for wiping and the
obsession with  melting drives that are being disposed of.

You can however  certainly claim that thats just an ultra safe approach
which should ensure  that the data cant be retrieved, and not saying
anything useful about how  retrievable it is without that."
(4) "For current HDDs, I think you are perfectly correct. For older HDDs
(several years), floppy disks, some tape variants, recovery of
overwritten data may be possible, since they use only part of
the  available area (differences in positioning od different writes)
and part of  the available "channel" (s/n ratio, Shannon)."

All 4 were from
_http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/138943-32-forensic-recovery_
(http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/138943-32-forensic-recovery) )

Bill  Fairchild