In a message dated 2/14/2008 11:06:10 A.M. Central Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>In 35+ years, I've never seen a directory
block count stored  anywhere; only the count of blocks used. The classic
method of counting the  total of directory blocks is to open the
directory as a sequential dataset  and read until EOF is encountered.

I also have never seen the directory block count stored anywhere in a  vani
lla IBM system.  Perhaps the poster was referring to a non-IBM use of  some
reserved field in the Format 1 DSCB.  Also I have never heard of  storing the
count of blocks used anywhere.  Where is this piece of data  stored in vanilla
IBM
metadata?  The Format 1 DSCB has a one-byte field for  the number of bytes
used in the last directory block and a 3-byte field for the  TTR of the last
used block in the entire data set.  Perhaps you were  thinking of one of those
fields.

The reason that a PDS directory entry that describes a load module is  larger
than a directory entry for other types of data is that load modules store
info in the entry that is used by program fetch when the load module is being
loaded.  I don't remember the exact format of a directory entry, but there  is
at least one TTR stored in the entry as well as part of a byte telling how
many halfwords of the directory entry are used for storing such data.
Non-load
modules have all these bytes containing zero.  Some non-IBM  products use
this feature of a directory entry to store useful info, like date  last used
for
the member.  So non-load module entries will be larger than  the mininum
length (12 bytes, I think) if such software is installed and  managing that
PDS.
There is a DSECT describing the directory entry  somewhere in
SYS1.MACLIB/MODGEN, I believe.  Or maybe I saw this documented  in a logic
manual.

Bill  Fairchild
Rocket Software

"The truth which makes men free is for the  most part the truth which men
prefer not to hear." [Jim Bishop; 1955; The Day  Lincoln Was Shot]

Awards. Go to AOL Music.