In a message dated 2/18/2008 10:09:09 A.M. Central Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>OK,  I'll bite.  A PDS directory block has an 8-byte count area, an
>8-byte  key area, and a 256-byte data area.

Aha!

>When is a directory block not 256 bytes  long?

When 8 is not equal to 0. Which is why the number of directory  blocks per
3390 track is what it is and not larger.

I admit that you sucked me into your guessing game of wits once more.   Since
8 is always "not equal to 0", therefore a PDS directory block  always has a
data area that is not 256 bytes.  Since this is  impossible, I am now supposed
to plead with you to reveal this latest conundrum  of yours.  You can explain
in plain language what I am overlooking if you  wish, but I give up on the
guessing game.  You win again, Seymour, as you  always must.  Oh please, please
tell me the secret.  Pretty please  with sugar on top.

Bill  Fairchild

"An important art of politicians is to find new names for  institutions which
under old names have become odious to the people."  [Talleyrand]

2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)