We tried, and failed, to migrate from our MONOPLEX to a two system basic
sysplex yesterday. There were a number of problems. One really weird one
occurred after I had taken down the new z/OS image and done the
appropriate shutdown of it (V XCF,...,OFFLINE, reply DOWN on the
remaining system, after a RESET CLEAR on the HMC for the LPAR). Well, I
think it was the correctly way. Anyway, we ran a job which tried to
delete a VSAM file. The step was actually running CA-FAVER, which does a
delete/define/reload. The DELETE failed:

<quote>
      DELETE (PRIMV.PPO.XDF)
0IKJ56241I DATA SET PRIMV.PPO.XDF NOT ALLOCATED
 IKJ56241I DATA SET IS ALLOCATED TO ANOTHER JOB OR USER
 IDC0551I ** ENTRY PRIMV.PPO.XDF NOT DELETED
0IDC0001I FUNCTION COMPLETED, HIGHEST CONDITION CODE WAS 8
</quote>

The person who was here, did a 3.4 on the DSN and did a "whohas" command
to find out who had the dataset allocate. According to him, and I trust
him, he got the output:

DATASET: 'PRIMV.PPO.XDF' NOT ALLOCATED.

Unfortunately, he did not try to allocate the DSN with JCL and a
DISP=OLD, which is my usually way to find DSN conflicts. Is there any
way to do an "after the fact" problem diagnosis? Oh, to make matter
worse, we reIPL'ed the original system back into MONOPLEX mode, so I
can't do any testing until next Sunday.

Thanks for any ideas, althought I think that I am SOL on this.

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

The information contained in this e-mail message may be privileged
and/or confidential.  It is for intended addressee(s) only.  If you are
reproduction, distribution or other use of this communication is
strictly prohibited and could, in certain circumstances, be a criminal
offense.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the
sender by reply and delete this message without copying or disclosing
it.