On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 11:03:41 -0700, Edward Jaffe wrote:

>William Bishop wrote:
>> The problem is that if you perfrom an IDCAMS DELETE and specify nonvsam,
>> HSM does a recall.  Without the nonvsam, he does an HDELETE if the dataset
>> is migrated.
>
>This sounds APARable to me.

... or a Requirement?  What's the rationale for the misbehavior?

What's the rationale for specifying NONVSAM if it seems only to
cause problems?

Ages ago, before TSO/IDCAMS was so nearly smart, I coded in
Rexx (IIRC):

    address 'TSO'
    'HDELETE ''DATA.SET.NAME'' WAIT'
    if RC<>0 then
        'DELETE ''DATA.SET.NAME'''

Crude, but effective.  Why do some sysadmins detest
programmers who do what's expedient?

-- gil