On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 18:35:13 -0500, Bass, Walter W <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Now I should be all set too since us "applications" type guys aren't
>being blocked from using IPCS.
>
>Here I go ...
>

> READY
>
>ipcs
>
> IPCS for z/OS 01.08.00
>
> ICH408I USER(JOEUSER ) GROUP($JOESGRP) NAME(PGMR,JOE            )
>
>   SYS1.PARMLIB.B CL(DATASET ) VOL(SYSBR2)
>
>   INSUFFICIENT ACCESS AUTHORITY
>
>   FROM SYS1.PARMLIB.* (G)
>
>   ACCESS INTENT(READ   )  ACCESS ALLOWED(NONE   )
>
> IEC150I
>913-38,IFG0194E,JOEUSER,@ENDPROD,SYS00991,D1FB,SYSBR2,SYS1.PARMLIB.B
>

> System ABEND 913, reason code 0038

<snip>

>Not quite the result I was hoping for ...
>
>If I am reading this correct, I am being stopped because I don't have
>read access to SYS1.PARMLIB.B
>
>Now I don't know about your shop, but if I go asking for access to a
>SYS1 dataset that I currently do not have access to, I had better be
>armed to the teeth with justifications for that request because it will
>raise all kinds of serious red flags and I will attract lots of
>attention from security folks.  "I wanted to play around with IPCS"
>would not be considered a valid business justification and at best I
>will be on someone's short list after that.
>
>So unless someone knows some other magic or can tell me how to make IPCS
>stop trying to read SYS1.PARMLIB.B, this looks like a dead end for me.

Unfortunately, that would be a problem in many shops and a valid concern
to not give you access to local parmlibs.

However, if you can convince someone to give you access to the
IBM supplied parmlib "IBM.PARMLIB" or "SYS1.IBM.PARMLIB", then
you can allocate it to IPCSPARM and it will only look at that library.

ALLOC FI(IPCSPARM) DA('SYS1.IBM.PARMLIB') SHR REUSE

IPCS

Unfortunately you need the IBM parmlib for not onlt the IPCSPR00 member
(which would be easy to create yourself in your own PDS) but also
the BLSCECT member and a bunch of other members included from
statements in BLSCECT.

So, I guess it isn't really as easy as we had indicated unless you have read
access to the parmlib concatenation.

Mark
--
Mark Zelden