We had a similar issue with a file open for update in CICS and read in
batch.  Occasionally a record not found condition was hit but the record
was in the file.  We did not want to use SHRoption 4 due to the
performance hit and we didn't have a product to allow file sharing
(SHROPTION 5, SYSB-II, etc.).  What the programmers did was insert a
read/locate for a key of high values (not sure if this was done once at
file open or after every RNF) then redo the read.  This seemed to solve
the issue.

I assume a CI/CA split happens after batch file open and the record
needed is moved (in one of the split CI/CA), the read to high values
must have forced a refresh of the index to batch.  Pardon my lack of a
more technical answer I don't have time to track down the details.

Ken