Edward Jaffe wrote:
Thompson, Steve wrote:
I have been searching IBM-Main, and the current PoOP, as well as a few
Migration manuals.

Where does IBM state that this or that feature/function is the minimum
requirement for a given release of z/OS?

I am trying to take advantage of some new instructions, but I have to
make sure that they match up with the O/S requirements.

What I am looking for, specifically is, the EXTENDED IMMEDIATE
group/function/feature.

Sorry to disappoint. The most-recent level set was z/OS 1.6 requiring z/Architecture. No operating system release requires machines that implement the extended-immediate facility (z9 and higher).

With the lack of interconnect between z10 and z900/z800, some have speculated that z900/z800 will be dropped by upcoming releases of (at least) some middleware products if not the operating system itself. So far, nothing is announced.

It sounds to me like Steve was after some point in time
where he could use extended immediate instructions. The
answer is: it's not in the software but in the hardware.
As you pointed out, if you are running a z9 or z10, the
instructions are available, regardless of what release
of z/OS you are running.

You could use the TM instruction to see if the hardware
has the feature. For example:

     tm   202,x'02'
     jo   extend_imm_here
* fall through, and extended immediate instructions are not
  available.

Kind regards,

-Steve Comstock
The Trainer's Friend, Inc.

303-393-8716
http://www.trainersfriend.com

  z/OS Application development made easier
    * Our classes include
       + How things work
       + Programming examples with realistic applications
       + Starter / skeleton code
       + Complete working programs
       + Useful utilities and subroutines
       + Tips and techniques

==> Check out the Trainer's Friend Store to purchase z/OS  <==
==> application developer toolkits. Sample code in four    <==
==> programming languages, JCL to Assemble or compile,     <==
==> bind and test.                                         <==
==>   http://www.trainersfriend.com/TTFStore/index.html    <==