>>> On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 12:21 AM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]@sbcglobal.net>, Ron Hawkins
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
-snip-
> It gets even more ridiculous when Linux is suddenly an anointed HA OS simply
> because it will run on an IBM Mainframe, along with Solaris and pre-RISC
> AIX. I have not figured that out yet.

Umm, no.  It's not the fact that Linux is running on the mainframe that creates
high availability.  As with all other operating systems, it's the
infrastructure that supports HA, as well as (sometimes) some applications that
are HA aware.  Heartbeat, various STONITH tools and so on are what accomplish
HA, not the OS itself, per se.  You can get HA without the application being HA
aware, but it's easier if they are.  There are HA Linux clusters that have
never been anywhere near a mainframe.  The same holds true for Solaris, HP-UX,
Tru64, AIX, and others.

Having said that, having your operating systems on System z hardware makes
getting HA levels of uptime more common, but not more doable.  While server
class midrange hardware can be very good, it's not nearly as good as System z.
Which partly explains the huge price differential between them.  (The rest is
due to other factors that are far less satisfying to contemplate.)  Even on
System z, however, you still have to design the architecture as though any part
of it can fail in the next few minutes.  Otherwise you're just burying your
head in the sand.

Finally, don't compare server operating systems to Windows XP.  I no longer
have any love for Microsoft and the various incarnations of their Windows
desktop operating systems, but they're not comparable to the server editions in
the same family.  Microsoft's desktop OSes don't have any sort of HA potential
built into them, but their server versions do, via clustering, albeit along the
lines of Microsoft's vision of what that means.

Given a choice, and application availability, I would go with Linux on System z
(running on z/VM) clustering versus Parallel Sysplex, for no other reason than
the huge cost savings, and relative simplicity.  That's a purely economic
evaluation, not a technical one.  I supported MVS for 20+ years, and have a
great admiration for it.  IBM's pricing schemes (along with most ISVs) make it
difficult to justify economically these days.

Mark Post