From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Gary
Green
Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2008 10:29 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: WebSphere Question

If someone knows where I should ask this question, please tell me where to go.
;)

Otherwise...

I was chatting with the manager of the tech support group at another company
and he was telling me that in his shop they experience a terrible slowdown in
WebSphere most afternoons; "sucks the life out of the machine" comes to mind.
They do not have anyone that does performance or capacity work to "run the
numbers"; and they collect very little SMF data even if they did or knew how to
"run the numbers".  He thinks it's the application programmers poorly written
code, probably Java doing some daily end of day stuff.  To make matters worse,
they are still on 1.4, with plans to make a brief stopover on 1.7 before
heading off to 1.9.

They are pretty much a vanilla IBM shop with a couple of DB2 V7 production
regions a couple of production CICS regions and some/few regions each for QA,
Dev and testing.  I think he said WebSphere was... version 6 if that
makes sense... (I am not conversant in WebSphere).   They are on a ~480 mip
Z9.

I know this is not really much to go on but does anyone have any suggestions I
could pass along?  Perhaps some insight or suggested diagnostic processes?

Gary Green
While the big event is over, there is still time for you to help me with my
efforts to assist those stricken with cancer!
Please support my efforts by visiting:
 <http://www.active.com/donate/tntsonj/tntsonjGGreen>
http://www.active.com/donate/tntsonj/tntsonjGGreen

Thank you.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO Search the archives at
http://bama.ua.edu/archives/ibm-main.html