From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Timothy Sipples
Sent: Friday, July 11, 2008 10:38 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: WebSphere Question

You mean WebSphere Application Server for z/OS, right?

It *could* be WAS V6.0x on z/OS 1.4 -- that is technically possible. WAS
V6.1x requires a higher z/OS release level, though (1.7 minimum I think).

OK, a few suggestions:

1. It sounds like there's a strong suspicion there's an application problem.
Starting with a free solution, I'd recommend getting this tool
pronto:

http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/jinsightlive

It'll help figure out what's going on in the application. If you want to add
a commercial tool to your kit bag -- and there are good reasons to do that
-- then you have a number of choices. I'm most familiar with IBM's Tivoli
Composite Application Manager (ITCAM), but there are others out there as
well such as CA's Wily Introscope.

2. I'm glad to hear there's a plan to leapfrog up to z/OS 1.9 (via 1.7).
That's because starting in 1.6 you can take advantage of zAAPs. For any
non-trivial amount of Java workload it makes perfect sense to get at least
one zAAP. Also a very good idea to get moving on the DB2 front, because
there are likely performance benefits that accrue with many WAS
applications. For example, you can get some zIIP benefit if you're crossing
LPARs for JDBC access.

3. One basic thing you want to look at is garbage collection. There's a
switch you can throw in WAS to log each garbage collection event, and it's
extremely lightweight so you can turn it on in production. As I recall the
rule of thumb is that if you garbage collect more than every 10 seconds or
so you've got a problem. You can solve that problem by increasing the Java
heap size per servant, increasing the number of servants, fixing the
application (to use fewer/smaller objects and/or avoid "leaking"), or some
combination.

4. Are the servants abending (almost always due to an application abend)?
If so, that'll put demands on the system as it starts new servants to keep
the business running.

5. IBM has published some very good problem determination guides. Here are
some links to check:

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/redp6880.html
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/redp6001.html
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/redp6002.html

Hope that helps get you started.

- - - - -
Timothy Sipples
IBM Consulting Enterprise Software Architect Specializing in Software
Architectures Related to System z Based in Tokyo, Serving IBM Japan and IBM
Asia-Pacific
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]