> On Fri, 5 Sep 2008 08:25:35 -0500, Staller, Allan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>>
> wrote:> >We have many 3rd party tools in our maiframe estate like CA , BMC ,
> IBM etc.> >Is there any sysstem utiltiy by which we can come to know which
> tool has not> >been used over a long period of time ?

Some tools have a built-in usage tracking mechanism (e.g. SimpList), so you
might want to check if any of the tools you want to monitor have something
similar. Another option is that in the CLIST or REXX procedure that launches
each product, you could add a call to an in-house procedure that writes a
record to a usage log. For example, suppose the following REXX procedure is
used to launch the 'XYZ' vendor product:

/* REXX to launch 'XYZ' */
address ispexec
"SELECT PGM(XYZ)"
"SELECT CMD(%LOGIT XYZ)"

By adding the last line you can call the LOGIT procedure and pass it a parm to
tell it which product was launched (e.g. XYZ). The LOGIT procedure can then
write a record to a usage log; e.g. a sequential data set or a member of a
usage logging PDSE called 'XYZ' or a VSAM file (etc). The record that's written
could include the userid of the person who launched the XYZ product, the date
and time they launched it, and even how long they were in the XYZ session
(etc). Such a procedure is extremely simple to write and once it's written you
can easily use it to monitor all sorts of things.

HTH,
 Dave SaltSimpList(tm) - try it; you'll get it!
http://www.mackinney.com/products/SIM/simplist.htm