Martinez, Frank J wrote:
Back in the Y2K frenzy, we set up our "Time Machine" by using FlashCopy
(actually SNAP, since it was a good ol' RVA) and it worked quite well.  The first step
was to rename the offline target pack(s), vary it on, then we SNAPped the source
volume(s), which automagically varied the target back to offline (duplicate volid) and
done.  This was done, several times a week, sometimes twice or thrice a day, and even
some packs were dumped to tape to preserve the same data, etc.

The only caveat would be to make sure that the "source" LPAR should have all the
addresses of the "target" LPAR offline to prevent the duplicate volume messages.  Since
our target was basically a clone of the production LPAR, including user catalogs and the such, with
minor changes to the tape environment, of course, it was akin to running it in the production
environment.

In fact, IMHO the approach is bad: why to perform full volume dump?
Such copy is good for DR or system cloning/moving, etc. But not regular backup - how to restore single dataset or DB2 table ? Yes, it is possible, but not easy.

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland

--
BRE Bank SA
ul. Senatorska 18

Sd Rejonowy dla m. st. Warszawy XII Wydzia Gospodarczy Krajowego Rejestru Sdowego, nr rejestru przedsibiorców KRS 0000025237
NIP: 526-021-50-88
Wedug stanu na dzie 01.01.2008 r. kapita zakadowy BRE Banku SA  wynosi
118.642.672 zote i zosta w caoci wpacony.