In a message dated 9/12/2008 2:03:47 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>Can anyone tell me what kind of improvements can be realized changing  PAVs
from Dynamic to Hyper?

I'll leave the quantification to others and to your own mileage  calculations.

>What is the real difference between the two?

First came static PAVs.  You decide where the PAVs are inside each LCU
(Logical Control Unit), a collection of up to 256 devices.  If you want to
change
any of them, you have to redo your configuration.  Lots of  work.  Error-prone
PITA.  Hard to change.  You must know your hot  devices in advance.

Next came dynamic PAV.  The WLM decides within one LCU what should be  PAVed
for the next WLM interval in order to deliver your requested goals, WLM
issues control I/O commands to the controller, PAV array is reset inside the
controller, and the new PAV configuration is fixed in concrete (static) until
the
end of the next WLM interval, maybe 10 minutes later?

Next came HyperPAV.  IOS decides on an I/O by I/O basis if a PAV is  needed
for the next I/O, finds one from a pool of available PAV UCBs, directs  the new
I/O to a PAVed UCB which the controller knows how to send to the proper
device, then IOS returns the PAV UCB to the pool of available PAV UCBs when the

I/O ends.  You don't have to reconfig.  You don't wait until the end  of the
WLM interval.  IOS does no control I/O to tell the controller a new  PAV
configuration.  Instantaneously dynamic as opposed to quasi-static as  opposed
seriously static.

Bill  Fairchild
Rocket Software