On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 15:38:56 -0400, J R wrote:

>Right, but I think it's fairly clear that they
>were both talking about the same thing.

... and I chose the term simply because I can never
remember which systems number bits left-to-right, and
which right to left, or start with 0, or start with 1.
And I think the IBM 704 didn't even number the sign
bit -- it was simply "S", and didn't (sometimes)
participate in shift instructions.

>> Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 14:16:43 -0500
>> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>
>> >"Nope"? Where do you perceive us to be in disagreement?
>>
>> There's a slight semantic difference. "Sign" vs. "flag". Two different
>> uses of the same high order bit, neither of which is compatable with
>> a 32 bit address.

-- gil