Paul Gilmartin wrote:
... and I chose the term simply because I can never
remember which systems number bits left-to-right, and
which right to left, or start with 0, or start with 1.
And I think the IBM 704 didn't even number the sign
bit -- it was simply "S", and didn't (sometimes)
participate in shift instructions.

It's simple, the bits on the 360, et seq. are numbered in the same direction as on the 704, etc.

And I really missed the instruction to shift only the sign bit from the AC to the MQ.

Gerhard Postpischil
Bradford, VT