Check for co-incident processing. E.g. SMF and RMF (both) synchronized
on the hour. This has been know to cause spikes when everyone is trying
to do everything all at the same time.

DDCONS=YES for a long running system task (e.g. DFHSM) that was
terminated.

Perhaps a "high priority" batch job looped and then timed out.

RMF Mon III may have some additional clues.

HTH,

<snip>
> We just experienced a 4 minute 'outage' on our z/OS system.  (single
image
> z/OS 1.9 system).
>
> By 'outage', I mean we could not communicate with MVS through TSO or
the
> z/OS consoles.  There is a 4 minute gap in SYSLOG.  The same for CICS,
IMS
> and DB2 logs.
>
> There were no system dumps or other indicators.
>
> We reviewed SYSLOG for the 15 minutes that preceeded the 'outage' and
did
> not find anything.  TMONMVS had a 4 minute gap in the collector during

> the 'outage'.
>
> Any suggestions how we can determine what happened?--
</snip>