>This thread should also reinforce the notion, "If you want it done right, do
>it yourself."  IOW, if you want GETMAINed storage to be "clean", then "clean"
>it yourself, every time you GETMAIN.

100% in agreement.
The first programme I wrote (1971 -- High School) was in FORTRAN, and we
learned about DO Loops and ARRAYs on the same day.

We learned about DO Loops, because initialisation was the first thing we were
taught to do.
And, it was a loop that was used to do it.

It was also the first lines of code invoked by the programme.

-
Too busy driving to stop for gas!