John,
  What happens if you run the exact same test, but instead of having the JCL
for your output as:
         // RECFM=FB,LRECL=80,BLKSIZE=0,DSORG=PS
you instead JUST coded
         // DSORG=PS

i.e. you leave out the JCL (overrides) for RECCFM, LRECL, and BLKSIZE) - I
think that this is when/where the different BLOCK CONTAINS clauses make a
difference.