I don't know about Clark submitting a requirement in the 90's, but there is
an existing SHARE requirement:
   SSLNGC03003  Compiler option to make BLOCK CONTAINS clause SMS sensitive

(Part of the Description)
  "The current default for when the BLOCK CONTAINS x RECORDS clause is
omitted is for unblocked files. If this default is taken, the result is an
unblocked file with very poor I/O performance. This may not be obvious since
the JCL may be correctly coded, but any JCL BLKSIZE specification will be
ignored without notification. Coding BLOCK CONTAINS 0 RECORDS is the
preferred solution, since it allows DFSMS to pick blocking with the optimal
BLKSIZE. This requirement requests a compiler option that would allow the
default for when the "BLOCK CONTAINS" clause is omitted to be set to the
same processing as the current handling of "BLOCK CONTAINS 0 RECORDS"
instead of creating/reading unblocked files."

  * * * * *

This was submitted in 2003 and in 2004, IBM responded with "ACCEPT".

There is currently a "push" within the comp.lang.cobol group to get AS MANY
AS POSSIBLE of existing Enterprise COBOL sites to submit a "Marketing
REQUEST" that references this SHARE requirement and asking for
implementation "sooner than later".

I would suggest that ALL of those in IBM-MAIN who are interested in seeing
this enhancement, should also contact their IBM marketing representative and
have such a REQUEST submitted from your site.  (And no, don't ask ME how to
find an "IBM marketing representative")