>The whole idea of (IBM mainframe) CoBOL still caring about blocksize is
>irritating.
>The "fix" of making BLOCK CONTAINS 0 is IMHO, not the way fixes should be.

I really don't think this qualifies as a 'fix'.
I learned COBOL in 1976, and was taught, back then, to always use BLOCK
CONTAINS 0 RECORDS (I don't think that the last keyword was optional, then).
That was long before System Determined Blocksize was even dreamed about.

We used it so we could easily move from disk (for testing) to tape (for real),
without re-compiling.

-
Too busy driving to stop for gas!